Friday 10 September 2010

Exploring Music Video's

This blog includes short analysis's on 4 different music video's.

Starting with Fat Boy Slim's song- Weapon of choice. http
://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Ky5R-vxns&ob=av2e

I would say the genre for this video is Dance as it is an upbeat song and has mixing done in it which a JD would need to create.
The representation for this video shows how an audience may misrepresent the age group over (60's) as being boring or their physical ability being bad. As in the video we clearly see the actor is having fun and has very good physical ability.
The narrative for this video I think is showing that not all over 60 year old's are boring or are physically challenged. And that they can have a good time and enjoy life.
The audience for this video I would say is quite wide, it has not been niche marketed as it could attract people ranging from ages 10-70 for example. As I feel all these ages would enjoy the video as it is easy to listen to and visually interesting.
The meaning that is created in this video I feel is to show the audience that anyone of all ages can enjoy life and 'walk with rhythm' as said in the song.
This is a print screen of the part of the video when the actor Christopher Walken starts to dance unlike the typical stereotype of a 60 year old man.

The next video I have analysed is Britney Spears- Baby one more time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKo4fFVymqk&ob=av2e

The genre for this video is Pop.
I feel that the representation in this video is quite stereotypical in that the blond girl is 'stupid' as she is not paying attention in class.
The narrative is about a school girl crush that goes bad and feeling lonely. There is a sense of realism used in this video and this is portrayed through the mise-en-scene.
The target audience group for this video I feel is for young girls aged between 13-18. Niche marketing is used.
I feel the meaning of this video is that girls can feel lonely without love, which is all I got from the video.


This is a print screen of Britney Spears not paying attention in class.

The third video I have looked at is Madonna- Vogue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJQSAiODqI&ob=av2e

This video's genre is Dance/Pop.
The representation in this video is of model's I feel they are positive stereotypes.
The narrative is basically that music can help cure heart ache and by doing the vogue dance.
The audience target I feel is woman and men aged between 16-25.
The meaning behind the video is a bit hidden I feel as there seem to be quite a few, the meaning's I got from the video are that music can help to cure heart break, everyone is the same- against racism, it is filmed in black and white, I feel there is a strong anti racism message hidden in this video.
This a print screen of a model posing in the video.

My final video is by Eminem called Stan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSLZFdqwh7E&ob=av2e

The genre is hip hop.
The representation used in this video is of a bad stereotype of a hip hop fan who becomes aggressive and angry.
The narrative is about an obsessive fan who keeps being ignored, who turns crazy and angry and kills himself, his girlfriend and his unborn baby.
The target audience I think is for woman and men aged 18-25.
The meaning behind the video I feel is that you have to be careful about what you say as you don't know who is listening and how they may be effected. This is an example of the actor being aggresive towards his pregnant girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment